No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a new computer as of a month or so ago.
I booted it up in Windows today with the view of making a backup.

I am using a new Dell Win 8 system as of this week, and the backup options are generally irrationally designed.

I wanted to make a system backup/recovery disk--it would need ~12GB, so three disks (DVD = 4+GB/disk). Can't do it. Why? Because Dell's software will ONLY burn to "non-rewritable" media. I use rewritable media so I *can* reuse it later.

So, it is a Seagate HDD (1TB), so I figure I can clone the HDD and get everything onto a backup HDD. Acronis/Seagate software. Nope. Reports something "invalid" on reboot--won't clone the drive.

Tried 3-4 other options, none worked.

I am running USB3 RAID boxes (2 boxes, 4 drive spots/box)--so that means it could be used to mirror drives.

Also recommend doing upload daily to "cloud storage" and copy that pile of data weekly/monthly to a couple local HDDs (i.e. 2-4 TB each) that then go into the bank vault. Then empty the cloud storage and repeat the cycle. Cloud storage replaces your daily backups.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement