UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (156) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59084  
Subject: Re: Liberal Education - no one fails Date: 1/22/2008 2:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a pet peve. (Surprised?) When I go to the food market, or to a hamburger place, the clerks get very confused when I give them a ten, a five, and 17¢ for a $13.67 bill. They have to use the cash register to figure out the change. If they have already done the total, I have to tell them how much change is right. One insisted on giving me the change without the 17¢.

cliff

I wonder if the widespread use of pocket calculators has affected young peoples' ability to perform simple math in their head. Back in the dark ages of the 1960s, public school students such as myself had no pocket calculators and we also had to memorize our times tables. My sister was three grades behind me and when she reached 3rd grade, her class no longer had to memorize times tables.

Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (156) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement