Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a small position in International Speedway.

I also spend a fair amount of time at California Speedway, which they own. I solo race there about once a month and have also worked other driving events. I was there recently for the inaugural Formula SAE student competition. I spoke with a couple of the fire crew and mentioned I owned a few shares of ISC. They remarked that attendance for the NASCAR races at the track as down. The significance of this is that California, Denver and NYC are considered strategically important to NASCAR's efforts to branch out from being a Southerner's spectator sport.

This could be just a blip and not a trend. California Speedway is making improvements, moving and making permanent the 1/4 mile dragstrip and developing a retail and restaurant complex outside of the oval's front straight. The restaurant will carry Wolfgang Puck's brand, which says to me that they consider the pallets of SoCal NASCAR fans to be a bit more particular.

The track no longer hosts an IRL race; the stands were embarrasingly empty. Champ Car no longer runs ovals, so the big finale to that season, which drew well before the premier teams bolted the series, is gone.

This could change if Champ Car and IRL end the idiotic split and Cal Speedway comes back on the schedule. I'm betting it would because of the market size and the recombination of the big name teams under one series. Cal Speedway is first-rate track, having been built under Roger Penske's direction.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement