No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a variable annuity with Met Life that I would like to roll over to another TSA offered by my school system.

Just to make sure: this is a qualified annuity, funded with pretax contributions?

If so, you can certainly do a 403(b) rollover. Met Life will probably charge you a surrender fee though.

The best place to have a 403(b), annuity or not, is TIAA-CREF. You may or may not be able to roll it over to there. (Your new contributions wouldn't go there, but any existing account balance probably can)

But I think you'd probably do better by skipping the 403(b) and contributing to a Roth and investing in tax-efficient investments in a regular taxable account.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.