Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
I have about $10,000 in a mutual fund at American Century that I need to give to my mother (I won't get into the personal details).

I know that I can gift her that amount of money without incurring taxes but first I have to get it out of the mutual fund.

Any suggestions on the best way to alleviate taxes on this whole transaction? Would it be possible to gift her the shares without withdrawing them first? If so, will she incur taxes when she redeems (I assume she will, but I want to avoid taxes on my end first)?

When the shares are converted to cash the owner at the time bears the tax liability for the gain. Thus it's best for the party with the lower marginal tax rate to be the seller. (I'm assuming the sale will result in a gain, not a loss.) Without knowing which of you that would be we can't advise further, so please let us know and we can fill in the blanks.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.