Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have about $10,000 in a mutual fund at American Century that I need to give to my mother (I won't get into the personal details).

I know that I can gift her that amount of money without incurring taxes but first I have to get it out of the mutual fund.

I do not know American Century funds, but you have probably already paid most of the taxes on the some of the capital gains, dividends, and interest distributed by the funds (or re-invested on your behalf). It may also be that the fund has distributed capital gains to you, and if so, you already had to pay the taxes on those, too.

So the only taxes you would owe would be on the capital gains that have not been distributed to you already. If you had all the stuff automatically reinvested, it may be difficult to establish your cost basis, but you will have to do that.

I hope that fund is not in an IRA, or more complications might have to be dealt with.

N.B.: I do not even play a tax attorney on The Motley Fool.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.