Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an investment property that I am going to sell in January of 2002. It was originally my primary residence. I have owned the prop since February of 2001. I am going to make a profit of aprox. 70k. How am I going to be taxed on this? Please help. I have looked at the IRS site and can't find what I need

Since we do not know your tax bracket (not counting the sale), we cannot give aprecise answer. But think of this: If you are in the 28% bracket (before the gain on sale), you would save $5,600 by delaying the sale for one month. If you moved back in and stayed until your time in residence was two years, you would save close to $20,000 in federal tax (plus whatever you might owe your state.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.