UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mlvandyck One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75649  
Subject: Re: Mom's needs Date: 9/14/2000 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have another idea. It is not for most and may not be fore you. My father has had rental properties for years. He does not like it for a few reasons. One all his houses are hundreds of miles away from him. Two he feel he has to deal with everything hands on. I have learned that there are better ways to do things.

Don't sell the house. Rent it out. Without knowing much about the house or the area I'd have to just quess at how much you could rent it for but lets say you rent it out for $600 a month. If you don't mind being hands on you coul dtake that and use it to cover the costs you need. All right it is not the $800 but I'm trying to get you closer that those CDs. Now my advice if you have never had to deal with renters is at least to start let a realestate agent manage the rental of the house. It can cost around $50 to $75 a month, and ask then if they have heard about insurance that covers things like stoves and hot water heater. I found out from my agent that there is insurance that covers things like the stove incase it needs repair or replacement. This means you don't have to try and find a few hundred $ over night because the hotwater heater flooded the basment. I hope this works for you I'm a few year if not month from the samething.

Best wishes
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement