Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: OT for mazske Date: 1/6/2007 10:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have another thought to go along with that... get some of these prison officials (and prisoners?) to go into schools to talk to the kids about reading

I've toyed with something similiar to this. I've thought about getting someone recently released from jail or prison to do just as you suggested. I had a young, 18 or 19, year old female who had been arrested a few times do just this. I got permission from her probation officer so that the time she spent with me in a school reading to kids would count as her community service time. The teacher of the class I took her to really enjoyed having her there as she was great with the kids.

However, the principal of that school, an elementary school, found out and said she was no longer allowed to come with me.

I would have always been with her, so I totally disagree with this, but my hands were tied and probably I didn't push it as much as I should have.

The problem as I see it with having an inmate do it would be this. Some inmates get out on work release details where they are working alongside the road or somewhere else. Always, there is an armed guard with them.

The schools allow me to go into classrooms armed as I am a police officer, I'm in uniform, I'm on duty and I'm there to read or talk to the kids.

If the armed person had to be there to "guard" the prisoner, I don't think the school would go for that.

Now, prison officials? Possibly.

Yet, I wonder.

I have trouble getting police officers I work with to do what I'm doing. I'm having trouble getting neighboring law enforcement agencies to adopt my programs.

However, I'm like a persistent black fly that you just can't get rid of. I won't give up on what I'm doing. It'll spread, just give me time.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and support.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement