Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been claiming the Foreign Earned Income Excusion since 1995, and every year I contribute to my Roth IRA, and to my wife's Roth IRA. That's not the problem. The tricky part is qualifying for the exclusion. You need to meet the Bona Fide Residence Test or the Physical Presence Test.

And, be careful, you still have to file a tax return, and you can only exclude up to $76,000 of your income. Any benefits you receive, such as company paid housing, plane tickets, school fees also gets included. You need to get a copy of IRS Publication 54 "Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad".

By the way, it's spelled "expatriate", not expatriot...
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.