Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196099  
Subject: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/6/2004 10:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
But..

I turn 51 blessed years old on 1~ 18 and I will be in your house. Please keep a spot for me every Sunday and I thank you in advance.

wild :)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104564 of 196099
Subject: Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/7/2004 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
wild,

I turn 51 blessed years old on 1~ 18 and I will be in your house. Please keep a spot for me every Sunday and I thank you in advance.

Why only on Sunday???

(Just curious!)

Norm.

Author: andryia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104574 of 196099
Subject: Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/7/2004 3:22 PM
Recommendations: 3
Good for you, Wild! Many Sundays I have wanted to stay in my nice comfy bed, but once I got to church I was glad I went.

And my church friends are the best friends I've ever had.

Andrea

Author: DaveandBeckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104616 of 196099
Subject: Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/8/2004 6:48 AM

And my church friends are the best friends I've ever had.

AMEN to THAT, Andrea!

I need a church! Can you and everyone reading this pray for me to find a 'local' church? Mine is so far--we never go anymore and I MISS it!

As a Charismatic, have you been to churches you just don't click with? I need to be 'fed'. I love the times we call people to come up for prayer, too. But there needs to be a balance. Know what I mean? I have found nothing here remotely 'comfortable' for me.

I like (tho it doesn't have to be exactly MY way.)Praise and Worship and a good long sermon followed by prayer for whoever is needing it. NOT the TV type of thing? (Phony?)

You never know what you had till it's gone? I did. But, feel lost in the woods when we visit churches.<sigh> Yes, you can pray for my attitude, too. :)

Becky

Author: andryia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104623 of 196099
Subject: Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/8/2004 11:05 AM
Recommendations: 1
Becky,

I'll tell you how we found our church. It's a long story. . .

Some other time I'll tell you about a prophetic dream that helped my husband know which job to take. That's another long story.

Anyway, my husband was starting his first year teaching high school and I was starting grad school. Problem was, his school and my school were 75 miles apart. We tried to find an apartment or rent house somewhere in the middle, but this was in August and most places are full that time of year. Plus, the town where we wanted to live was growing and all the condos and apartment complexes had long waiting lists.

We found a nice apartment complex that was in our price range, and went in to talk to the manager. We explained our situation and told her that we were desperate for a place to live and were ready to move right away. After she ran a credit check and checked with our employers, she said, "We just had a woman leave without giving notice. We can make it ready for you in three days."

Yippee! We had a place to live! The next order of business was to find a church in that area. This was something of a challenge because we came from VERY different backgrounds. I was raised Church of Christ and he was raised Mennonite. We tried three Baptist churches and the Church of Christ, but none seemed quite right for us. We had thought about trying the Assembly of God, because I had personally experienced speaking in tongues and we both liked praise and worship music. I was reluctant, though, because I had NO idea what to expect. From what I had heard, Pentecostal churches were just plain wild.

But, none of the other options panned out, so we paid them a visit. First we went to Sunday School, and I was very impressed. The teacher used lots of scripture to make points, but also made practical suggestions. The discussion was interesting and thought-provoking.

Then it was time for church. The service followed a format similar to many other churches, but it was just better. The choir really got into the music when they sang--they were smiling and clapping and some lifted their hands. Same thing with the soloists. The man who announced the offering did so in a funny, non-guilt-trip way. He told a joke and then said "God loves a cheerful giver--now you're cheerful, so what better time to give?" He also talked about all the worldwide mission projects the church supports and how it was one of the top mission-giving churches in the state. That was another good sign.

Praise and worship was great. It was so liberating to be able to sing and clap and be enthusiastic without everyone staring at you as though you were some kind of nut.

I don't recall the sermon topic, but it impressed me that the preacher was really speaking from his heart. I could hear the emotion in his voice, and it wasn't the fake emotion you see on Christian TV. It was a standard three-point sermon with scriptures interspersed, but it was delieverd with a passion I'd never heard before.

But here's what impressed me the most: the pastor gave an altar call for people who wanted help or prayer for any reason, and PEOPLE ACTUALLY WENT FORWARD! I had grown up in a church that did that every week, and could count on my fingers the people who actually responded. And here, it seemed the normal thing to do. Amazing!

DH and I both knew this was the church for us. There was no comparison between this and the others we had attended. It was orderly, biblically sound, and full of people who were passionate about God. I couldn't wait to go back.

After a couple of weeks, I heard someone speak out loud in tongues during a brief lull after the pastor's prayer. I was curious to see what would happen. Then the pastor interpreted the message, and explained the process of tongues and interpretation for those who were unfamiliar with it. I have seen this happen many times since I've gone there. Sometimes people give prophesies, and just say something out loud in plain English. Other times one person speaks in tongues and another person (not always the pastor) interprets it. It is always orderly--nobody interrupts anyone else, and only one person speaks at a time, just as the Bible directs.

Not long after DH and I started attending, they started a class for couples married five years or less (I know "fewer" is correct, but it sounds awkward). That was a great blessing, because it helped us make friends in our new town. My friends from this class are the best friends I've ever had. At one point, five of us women were pregnant at the same time. Talk about sympathy!

One other, very important thing. Church isn't just what you can get; it's what you can GIVE. DH and I have had many opportunities to serve in our church, such as volunteering at a homeless shelter/rescue mission downtown. I think you learn more from giving and serving than anything else.

I could go on and on. As you can probably tell, I love my church. I can't even describe what a blessing it has been. Becky, a great church is worth searching for and waiting for. I hope and pray you'll find one where you can learn, grow, be encouraged, and SERVE.

Love ya,
Andrea

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104631 of 196099
Subject: Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/8/2004 11:53 AM
<< I need to be 'fed'. >>

Hebrews 5:11We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn. 12In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

:-) Not saying this applies to the original poster, just suggesting that those that teach others seem to be also better fed.

Author: DaveandBeckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104739 of 196099
Subject: Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/9/2004 9:56 AM
Recommendations: 2

I'll tell you how we found our church. It's a long story. . .

Some other time I'll tell you about a prophetic dream that helped my husband know which job to take. That's another long story.

Andrea!

You MUST KNOW I LOVE stories! The longer the better!

But here's what impressed me the most: the pastor gave an altar call for people who wanted help or prayer for any reason, and PEOPLE ACTUALLY WENT FORWARD! I had grown up in a church that did that every week, and could count on my fingers the people who actually responded. And here, it seemed the normal thing to do. Amazing!

Now you are talkin! I remember that first altar call, too! I had been going to a Baptist Church that had at LEAST 10 min. altar calls (in the 20 min. sermon) every Sunday. In 8? years, one person came forward (Praise GOD!!) and 2 people came forward for prayer (Praise God, AGAIN!). I was amazed, when our wonderful pastor left (because the Elders decided they weren't responsible for all the children he had chosen to have (6) and refused to pay for their Christian School education.) and the guy they picked to replace him gave LONGER altar calls!! Lots of theatrics, too. No one ever went foreward for him. And there I sat watching ALL these people coming up for prayer!! And salvation! Every week--people coming to Christ! I knew the Holy Spirit HAD to be there.
Same with the Praise and Worship. It was for me!

One other, very important thing. Church isn't just what you can get; it's what you can GIVE. DH and I have had many opportunities to serve in our church, such as volunteering at a homeless shelter/rescue mission downtown. I think you learn more from giving and serving than anything else.

Amen to that too! Also, I was beyond shocked at the money given! Came to find out most tithed AND gave more to special offerings! We built our first Church without debt! CASH. Paid for as we went. And never, that I saw, did anyone have financial emergencies that weren't taken care of by one special offering! These were NOT wealthy people. Just cared about each other. I'm LOOKING AGAIN!! Your prayers are needed, though! I'm in a rural setting and Churches are few --not much variety. I'm not that fussy. Just want good people who love the Lord AND me?

Thanks for the story!
Becky

Author: physician Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105008 of 196099
Subject: Re: I have been lax, Lord! Date: 1/16/2004 5:42 PM
But..

wild :)

Happy birthday and GOD bless you on your 51 st birthday...doc

From the fullness of HIS grace, we receive blessings one after another. John 1:16

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement