Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I have been living, working and paying tax etc in the UK for many years now
although I am a US Citizen. I have purchased a large number of US Equities
over the last couple of years and would like to sell them this year to purchase a
boat in the US. If I do this within the UK I will be liable to 40% capital gains tax
bill, on all sales over a nominal amount. I believe - after reading your article
today - that this would be greatly reduced, if I moved back to the US and
became a resident tax-paying Citizen.]]

The problem is, as a US citizen, you are liable for tax on your WORLD WIDE income...regardless of where it was earned. So you should have been an ongoing taxpaying citizen all along. If you haven't been...and haven't been filing a return for the past number of years, Uncle Sammy will have a LOT of questions for you when you DO decide to file. He'll want to know a BUNCH of information about your earnings from the past...and why a tax return wasn't filed. I hope that you have a very good answer.

So until you get this matter cleared up, selling the stocks is the least of your worries. Make sure to get some advice from a tax professional who can help you with these issues. That would be my best suggestion.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.