Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Phydeaux101 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18153  
Subject: Re: UAW----vs. US Auto Industry Date: 2/12/2002 5:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I have been on both sides of this fence over the years. I was a union member, union officer, and am now in management(non-union facility). The one thing that I found to be true is that unions only get what management is willing to give. For many years unions asked for outrageous wage and benefits packages and managment was only to willing to give them to avoid strikes. Lee Iacocca (spelling ???) even stated that simple fact. It was easier to give the unions what they wanted and pass the cost on to the consumer, preserving profits and bonuses. During my union days I was always of the opinion that "if their given, I'm taken". The wages are not really the problem anyway. It is the benefits packages that were given to the unions over the years that are causing the largest cash drain to the auto / steel industry. Supporting a retired workforce is expensive and retirees do not contribute by creating product. If I remember correctly, Bethelehem Steel is using their BK to get out from under their massive retiree burden.
Not saying that unions are innocent here, but I do think that management should share in 50% of the blame.
As a side note to all this, when I was a union officer, the people that got into trouble, and expected me to get them out of trouble, were usually marginal employees. The personnel that did their job and came to work everyday rarely needed union intervention
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement