UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883929  
Subject: Re: Since you asked... Date: 3/23/2013 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Recently, the Ann-Marie Slaughter that was referenced in this article was a keynote speaker at an event at my work. I keep thinking about the Yahoo situation.

But my underlying question is deeper than this whole male/female thing.

It's: When did it become taken utterly for granted that the American work week is not forty hours per week, but seventy, or eighty?

We look at all this and talk about how stressed people are with work, but that's because they are working almost all the time. Ann-Marie, when she spoke, talked about the fact that "it's simply impossible to consistently leave work by six pm and be successful."

All these articles say things like that, and assume that this is okay. I don't want to be Marissa Meyer or a super-power anything or anyone.

But I do want to be able to work, to save for retirement, to put my kids through college.

And in today's day and age, that's nearly impossible on one salary. Depending where you live, it may be completely impossible.

But competition has been escalated to the point where success is defined by being physically at work until seven, eight, nine o'clock at night, being available by some electronic device 24 hours a day, if you do manage to leave the office, then it is expected that you will be back online later that night.

All simply to keep your job... never mind get ahead. And sometimes... oftentimes... that's not even enough.

Forget the gender wars. Forget the SAHM/working parent wars.

How about the fact that the American work ethic has been turned into some insane gladiator competition where the one who moves into their cube gets ever-so-slightly ahead... but never enough?

GSF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement