UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37183  
Subject: Re: Falling Back Date: 3/24/2001 10:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I have been with my new roommate now since Nov.
She is a packrat and also seems to have an allergic reaction to picking up after herself.
I knew about her habits going into this situation with her but something else is coming up that I hadn't planned on.

I am also now beginning to become a packrat and leave stuff laying where I last used it.
HELP!!
How can I stop this backward slide just when I had started to get really good at keeping things simple and organized??

I wonder if your roommate would agree to let you put her stuff in her room, maybe in a designated box or crate. If you did a quick pick-up each morning andevening, I doubt it would take more than 5 minutes a time to put her stuff away. Then you have the clear visual field that helps you keep your own stuff picked up.

It's natural to want HER to do her own work, but I have found it is more likely to actually WORK, for the one who cares about something to be the one to do it. Trying to teach an adult something she doesn't see a need to learn is an endless problem with no good solution.

I used to do something like this when I had young kids. Each one had a "lost and found" crate in the livingroom bookcase. I'd put their stuff in there and every so often ask them to take theri crate to their room and put stuff away.

Reader99
Can't stand looking at clutter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement