Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mschmit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 701  
Subject: Re: Prius Maintenance Costs Date: 9/23/2004 6:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I have both a 2001 and a 2004 Prius. The 2001 has cost $0 so far (except for a flat tire). All maintenance is free until 37500 miles and I'm just about to that point. On the 2004, almost a year old, it hasn't been $0 since the maintenance wasn't free. I paid ~$995 for a pre-paid maintenance plan that covers everything to 55K miles. That is 11 services at 5K intervals, including three major ones at 15K, 30K and 45K. The minor ones are oil, tire rotation, fluids and filters. A similar plan for a conventional car would be about the same. So there is no real difference here.

All the hybrid parts are 100% covered to 100K miles and the battery is 100% covered to 150K miles (in CA, only 100K most other places). All this is important to understand. This is a 100% guarantee, not prorated -- so you can expect that the typical Prius hybrid parts will last well beyond that or they couldn't offer such a warranty. (The statistical laws of MTBF would take all their profit).

Any mechanic can do the oil changes, tires, 12v battery, filters, etc. Anything else I'd leave to Toyota...due to the special parts, training, etc.

No computer failures...but there has been a couple of service recalls (where they ask you to come in and get some computer replaced on a non-emergency basis).

You can expect to pay less for maintenance on several items:
brakes -- due to regeneration the pads don't touch as much
starter motor -- there isn't a little wimpy one...there are two big motor/generators that are much more reliable
alternator -- isn't one (the big motors are also generators)
transmission -- isn't one (there is a more reliable mechanical power split device called a planetary gear)

Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement