UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75385  
Subject: Re: Roth Ira is All stock What about MLP's Date: 5/6/2014 11:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
I have called my broker and my tax man. Neither could tell me what would be the difference in investing in MLP's Would it be the same as investing in stocks?

You need a new broker and a new tax man. They both should be able to tell you about the differences between stocks and MLPs - each from their own perspective.

Common stocks are an ownership share in a corporation. The corporation does it's business, [hopefully] makes money, pays tax on those earnings and then can send the rest of the money to you - the shareholders - as a dividend. You then pay tax again on that dividend. So there are two levels of tax on a corporation's earnings - the corporation pays tax on the earnings, and then the shareholders pay tax again when those earnings are paid to them as dividends.

An MLP is a Master Limited Partnership. A partnership does not pay income taxes. Instead, the partners of a partnership report their share of the partnership's income directly on their tax returns. They must do that whether the earnings are distributed to them or not. When the partnership does distribute the earnings, there is no tax on the distributions because the partner already paid tax on the earnings. Partnerships do NOT pay dividends, they make tax-free distributions. And there is only one tax on partnerships, paid by the partners. That makes partnerships a bit more tax-efficient.

That is the typical treatment for an individual owner. But you are considering holding these in an IRA, so the taxes are a bit different. The IRA itself does not pay tax. Instead you pay taxes on withdrawals from a traditional IRA or, if you meet the requirements, get tax free withdrawals from a Roth IRA. There is a wrinkle, though, for MLPs.

An MLP held in an IRA can generate something called Unrelated Business Taxable Income (or UBTI). UBTI is taxable in an IRA, but only if it exceeds $1000. So if your MLP investments generate more than $1000 of UBTI, your IRA itself must pay income tax on that.

Therefore, it is important to know how much UBTI to expect before investing in an MLP in an IRA.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement