Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have detailed records of my purchases, dividends, etc. for stock purchcases. I intend to sell a portion of one equity that was acquired over a period of years. I have read the IRS's "default" position is FIFO, but as long as I can specifically identify purchase lots, are there any restrictions on which lots (or portions of lots), I choose to sell?

The authoritative reference is IRS Pub 550, Investment Income and Expenses:

These two TMF articles have simplified versions of the answers you seek:

The key is that you must have documentary evidence that you identified specific shares to your broker, and your broker must confirm that he or she sold the specific shares. Full-service brokerages usually include this service as part of their normal commissions. Discount brokerages rarely offer this service (because it increases their costs).

This link will take you to other TMF articles on Investor Tax Issues:

David Jacobs
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.