Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58627  
Subject: Re: Dairy - mixed bag Date: 11/14/2013 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I have found steady sources for...soy milk...Trader Joe's soy pitas with wheat...

ThyPeace - you might want to reconsider the use of isolated soy protein products, goods that use them (burgers/bars/ice cream/baked goods/cereals et al), soy powders, protein shakes, other processed forms of soy and soy milk.

There is some evidence that these versions of soy, with the isolated soy isoflavones, can contribute to reduced thyroid function. The two main soy isoflavones, genistein and daidzein, inhibit thyroid peroxidase, an enzyme that's necessary to make thyroid hormone.

This appears to be less of an issue with the fermented versions of soy, such as tempheh, tofu, natto and miso.

People who are iodine-deficient are also more likely to have issues, as are those that consume large quantities of soy products thruout the day. Some general info here:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/soy/a/soy-thyroid.htm

When I was marathon training and eating a mostly vegetarian diet, I found it easy to get caught up in soy milk, soy-based nutrition bars, soy burgers, soy yogurt, soy cheese, soy protein isolates in cereals, soy protein powder shakes and the like.

It can end up being too much. My race performances/energy levels started taking a hit a few years into that. There were other issues too, so I can't state with absolute certainty that soy contributed 100% to the issue, but these days I choose to stick to fermented versions and don't use soy protein powders or anything that includes soy protein isolates in the ingredient label. It's a recommendation that my naturopath endorses too.

The typical healthy Asian diet that includes soy products does not include those sorts of products. That's an American phenomenon. They are more likely to include tempheh, tofu, natto and miso. They are also more likely to eat saltwater seafood, seaweed and sea vegetables, which are a good natural source of iodine and help counteract any effects of soy.

As alternatives, you could try almond, hemp or rice milk instead of soy milk, if you wanted. You can even make your own almond or hemp "milk".

Goat milk is amazingly expensive.

Hey, time to buy a goat! :)

Laura
g, d & r
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement