Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have heard absolute horror stories about dealing with the state of California and taxes so I wasn't sure if it wouldn't be best to just pay it and go on with life.

Horror stories abound for New Yorkers, also. We've had friends retire and move to Florida and NH (both non-taxed states) and have heard that NY hounds them for a couple years to prove they no longer receive their income from the Empirical State.

We moved from NY to MA early in a new year (1995) and had a tax accountant prepare our two state returns that year. As I recall, we had to declare the exact number of days we still lived in NY and then have the tax obligation prorated to each state.

I've no idea how to go about fixing a problem this many years after the fact, but starting with advice from a tax pro would be a good idea.

Good luck,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.