Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Finally got the hop starts yesterday. Been waiting on them since an 'estimated' shipping day of April'ish...and my order went in back in March.

Anyway, six plants, not rhyzomes. Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Magnum, and Willamette.

Now I need to go reread what diseases they are susceptible, and pretty sure they will each have different care patterns.
Print the post Back To Top
The heat around here makes hops hard to grow.
Give them lots of room and something to climb. I grow my 4 bines up an 8 foot iron sculpture (trellis) and two of them are already 2 or 3 feet beyond the top, even in a somewhat shady part of the yard. Lots of fun to watch.
Yeah, the top of the house is about 16ft so the twine should be long enough. I am also worried about the heat in midwest, a bunch of club members lost plants last year because of the start of the drought and the heat.

Right now I am debating between....the most sunny side of the house, which is tallest but also hottest and the partial sun side (only mornings) which is cooler but less direct sun and sloped so needs some work.

I fully expect my water bill to go up because of these experiment. We do not have rain barrels...:(
Advertisement