Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have just received capital gains distributions from some mutual fund investments that are held in my traditional IRA. If those CG distributions are reinvested into the traditional IRA mutual fund am I allowed to claim the reinvested CG's as a normal IRA contribution when filing my taxes?

I think I know what you mean by "I have just received ..." but I'm not quite sure.

Do you mean that you personally really did receive these CG distribution -- so that they were withdrawals from the IRA? Then, you turned around and reinvested them in the IRA? If so -- which is not what I think you mean -- not only are you allowed to claim them as part of your contribution to the IRA, they must be counted as part of your contribution.

OTOH, if you just mean that the funds in the IRA directly gained these distributions, you never received the funds, they are not part of your income, and you cannot count them as part of your contribution. Contributions basically come from you. Distributions from mutual funds in the IRA, dividends from stock in the IRA, etc. don't come from you.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.