Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2374  
Subject: Re: Trying to decide on my First RV Date: 2/26/2014 2:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have no idea how much your disability hinders you in day-to-day living. So I have to speculate a bit and leave huge margins for error.

Unfortunately, some of the issues I want to mention argue for a big rig, and some argue for a small one. (Many are indifferent.) I'd say take everything into consideration and then go for the smallest *you* consider workable *for you*. Other people may have opinions, but you're the one who will have to live with your choice.

* You want powered leveling jacks. ANYONE does on a large rig, and even when they aren't desperately needed they are really convenient. Standard on most motorhomes.

* Next time you're sitting on the toilet, study how you move and how much space you need, particularly at knee level and shoulder level. RV toilets are often in very tiny rooms - in our case 27 inches wide (in comparison, an ADA-compliant doorway is at least 32 inches wide) - and this definitely is a problem for some folks.

* Some RVs with slides on both sides leave me in doubt whether one could get from the driver's seat to the toilet without extending at least one slide.

* Consider whether you can get in and out of the rig. Chair lifts and wheelchair lifts are available, but they are expensive. So are powered folding steps for the gap between the bottom of the doorway and the ground - which are standard on some rigs.

* Insist on separate blackwater (sewage) and graywater (shower/sink drain) tanks. This is probably standard on any Class A or Class C motorhome, but check it on the smaller ones.

* Hooking up the sewer hose is probably the single most physically awkward outside chore you need to do routinely. Make sure you actually can do it, before buying the rig.

* Consider cabinet space carefully, particularly in the kitchen. Expect to not take everything. You can eliminate some rarely-used items, and maybe replace two or three items with one, but you're probably going to feel cramped.

* All else being equal, I recommend against side-by-side refrigerator/freezer arrangements. We constantly have to consider not only how big the freezer is overall, but the size and shape of the spaces in it. A 12" frozen pizza won't fit anywhere.

* Obviously you use a computer. If you have a printer, think about where you're going to put it.

* "Basement" (under the living space) storage that is NOT under a slide, or that is part of the slide, is a lot more useful than storage that is under a slide and doesn't move. And that's for me, with no mobility/flexibility issues.

* Laundry facilities (or hookups for same) are quite uncommon on motorhomes 36 feet or shorter, substantially more common at 37 feet or longer. Many parks discourage the use of in-RV laundry facilities and either have laundry rooms in the park or are near laundromats.

That's all I can think of (at the moment) about choosing a rig.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement