UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Yetijuice One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: I Have Not Had a Vacation Since .... Date: 4/6/2001 1:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
..... this board started (1/28/01)! That is going to change tomorrow! Six of us (3 adults and 3 children) will fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara to Jomsom. That will get us to the Jomson Airport trailhead in the world's deepest valley, the Kali Gandaki (a.k.a. Thak Khola). Move over, Grand Canyon! You are not deep enough!

We will trek up to Kagbeni and Muktinath, take a glance at 17,700 foot Thorang La (which I have crossed three times) and return to Jomsom. We will continue down valley and sample apple cider at Marpha. Then it is on to Tukche, Larjung, Kalopani, Lete, and Ghasa. The deepest part of the Kali Gandaki is at the bend in the river between Larjung and Kalopani. We will be at 8,000 feet elevation looking up at Dhauligiri and Annapurna, giant peaks that are more than 26,500 feet high.

There is a superb swimming hole beneath a waterfall near the trail above Dana. We will enjoy an afternoon there. We will schedule a rest day at the hot springs at Tatopani. Our 12-day trek will end at Baglung, from where we will take a bus back to Pokhara. We will spend a day swimming in Phewa Tal (lake) before taking another bus to Kathmandu. You are either on the bus or off the bus!

To warm up the evenings we will bring two litres of Jack Daniels with us. One of those is in a new fangled bottle. We will have to do a taste test to see if it is the same Old No. 7 Brand. Those will be Jack Daniels litres 72 and 73 that I have drunk in the Himalaya.

When school resumes my 8 and 6 year old sons will talk about this Easter vacation trek at their next show and tell. By April 22nd the pre-monsoon rains should have started and the load-shedding in Kathmandu will be finished. Time to start packing! Hang loose!

Yetijuice
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Why Should Berkshire Hathaway Survive?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement