Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8174  
Subject: Re: 529 vs. Roth IRA Date: 5/14/2012 2:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have read from a few Financial Planners that opening a Roth IRA allows:

1) More flexibility in usage of funds
2) More investment options

as compared to a 529 plan to fund college education.

For example, there are legal clauses in the Roth IRA law that allows for extraction of funds for education purposes before 59 1/2.

I don't particularly like the choices you have given here. Personally, I view retirement money as being strictly for retirement, and not a place to put money I expect to spend on anything else. And I consider retirement savings to be above college savings since the kids can borrow for their college, or find alternate ways to pay for it, but I cannot borrow for my retirement expenses.

There are also a lot more choices than using an IRA vs. a 529, but I'm not a big fan of 529's. You can always save college money in a taxable account in your name. You don't get the tax-favored treatment of any of the gains, but you get a lot more flexibility in terms of how you invest the money and what you can use it on. Plus, you can only save $5000 per year in a Roth, and that doesn't sound like enough to me.

For us, we saved for our retirement plus we put money aside in our names in a taxable account so that we had flexibility in how we used the funds and more investment options, which is exactly what you say is the advantage of the Roth over the 529.

The problem is that you can only put money in a Roth each year to the limit, and you cannot replace anything you take out, so if you take it out for college, where do your retirement funds come from?

I planned our savings around both the kids' college and our retirement savings, and did not try to put our retirement money towards their college, and we should still end up having paid for their college and retiring.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement