Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have recently transferred my house to my parents. When I did my dad said that the way to do it was show the sale cost as "$10 plus considerations". He says that this is occasionally done but now that I have thought about it I am wondering how to show it on my taxes. Is this going to be a problem (potential audit)?

It will be if you don't get it right.

You don't say anything in the body of your post, but your subject line mentions rental. When you dispose of rental property you have some recapture issues to deal with. In addition, if you gave the property to your parents for less than its fair market value, there are probably gift tax issues.

I suggest you take this to a professional.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.