Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19371  
Subject: Re: Federal Retirees & Medicare Date: 9/29/2013 1:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I have signed up (though not effective until 2014) for Plan B after much thought. I will keep my BCBS (Standard plan) as it really covers a lot. It amazing to see the expressions on the faces of local pharmacy customers when my prescriptions (not all of them, for sure) cost less that $1. An $8,000 visit to an ER resulted in a cost to me of zero.

Thanks for the response. I too did a lot of research, including luckily, having some friends who have already faced this. I went through the last 12 months co-pays (my BCBS basic option has no deductibles) and found that they were cheaper than the Part B premium would be, by several hundred dollars. Just Friday I sent in my "Thanks, but no thanks" Part B card. We'll see. If it turns out I've made a horrible miscalculation I can fix it later.

You might want to take a look at the BCBS basic option during the upcoming FEHB open season. The premiums are certainly lower than those for standard option, but I don't know how well it would work for your particular situation. It looks to me like it pays all of your Medicare deductibles and co-pays when you have Medicare Parts A and B. Drug coverage is no difference for either BCBS option regardless of what you do about Medicare.

How in the world do old people without their wits about them deal with all this?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement