No. of Recommendations: 0
I have some utilities and programs that are at least 10-15 years old and they still function fine with Win/7, NO updates coming and non required!!! It all just depends how, and what, they were written to begin with!!!

Lucky you. I have some programs less old that download sub-programs on an almost daily basis. In the past year, they stopped working because they require new versions of the libraries in my system, and my distribution does not have updated versions of those libraries. I would have to upgrade the entire OS, including all the programs I run. And that takes about a month to get reconfigured after I install it.

And my income tax program must be updated every year, whether I want to or not. And a while ago the current version refused to run on Windows 95, so I had to upgrade that to Windows XP. And now I had to upgrade to Windows 7 because I needed a new computer (that was 64-bit, while all my previous computers were 32-bit.

Keeping old software can work for a while, but unless you never need the Internet, it will not work forever. What will you do when IPv4 is discontinued because IPv6 has displaced it. It will be a slow transition, but it will happen, and then you will have to upgrade.

In the case of Thunderbird, I expect it will last a long time, but in computer age terms, that could be as little as five years. Perhaps 10?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement