Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: beckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196751  
Subject: Re: Update on Sister Date: 2/6/2002 6:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

I have teens. Three girls at 18,16,14 and Becca will be 13 in October.
One boy who's 8.

Robyn,

Are they in private school or public? Big difference!

I raised my kids in Grand Haven because it was/is a Christian community.
Mostly run by Christian Reformed who believe in legislating morality.
I'm a total hypocrite, I know, because, in general, I don't believe this works. But in a small(then) town, it makes for a safe atmosphere for kids. Most of their teachers were Christians--no preaching, but a general atmosphere of believers teaching "love thy neighbor."

But, by high school, there was this "sophmore" class parents had to sign for--- a "forum"? Anyway, that is where they taught the sex ed, and other controversial topics. I actually don't KNOW what all they taught. I didn't mind the sex ed so much, we had already talked about it at home.
BUT, they had the Health Dept. people come in and tell them about their "rights" to birth control, FREE, and all the info on STD's(that was OK, too.)
Problem? The next year, my youngest daughter came home one day and asked if I thought she should have a "PAP" test. I told her she was still pretty young (just 17), and then asked if she was worried about something. She said the other girls were getting them and shouldn't she, too? I said, it couldn't hurt, but I'd rather she went to our family doctor. Well, she already had an appointment at the Health Dept.
I said, OK. But, said our family doctor knew her inside and out and could do a better job because of that. No, she didn't want him doing "this"----felt better going to a stranger.
A few days later, she came in later than usual, and said it was "over."
I laughed and said, "Fun, huh?" Then, I got to thinking----and I just
blurted out---"Honey, did you go there for birth control?" She looked at the floor.
AGH! That doctor gave her birth control pills! What if she had had problems? Neither her doctor or I would have known! I couldn't take them.
She had no problems, but I was so angry! If she hadn't KNOWN they gave that stuff out, free and no questions asked, she would never have thought of it. Her boyfriend didn't even want her on birth control!!
But, taking after her stubborn mother--she stayed on it and I shut up.
But I did and still do feel like Big Brother was taking over. My hands were tied.

Still not over it--
Becky
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement