No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm the one that mentioned that I have the mosquito magnet. A neighbor a couple of houses down has two of them. It works, but read the following.

The advertised price ($1,300?) is a little misleading, as you also have to have, or buy, a couple of propane tanks - the same kind that runs a barbeque - and refills of mosquito attractant (optional, not too expensive, and we use it). They now make a smaller size that costs somewhere around $750, and an even smaller size, at around $350. If my memory serves me, the smallest size needs a source of electricity.

Originally built one by one in their garage, like the Wright brothers (or was it Henry Ford), it's now a thriving company. They have a website, maybe mosquitomagnet.com.

The coast guard uses them.

It's claimed that one mosquito magnet clears an acre, but I think that's an exageration. Also, if there's some object in the way, like your house, the effect is nil. If I had it all to do over again, I'd buy two of the midsize ones instead of two big ones. That said, I have to say that I love the thing. Our pool is behind the house, and the marsh is beyond the pool. On bad days, I can't garden in front of the house, and in the evenings, if we want to use the car, it's a mad dash from the door to the car, and when the family leaves the house, we all gather at the door and pile out as fast as we can and into the car. However, we can use the pool area all day without a bite! (I do retreat into the house by evening.)

A tank of propane lasts about 3 weeks. When a tank runs dry, a little light goes out. We have 3 or 4 tanks, including one for the barbeque, so trips for refills are minimal, but the cost is not insignificant. The Magnet runs continuously all summer.

It works in a couple of ways. If you use the recommended attractant, that's one way. The more significant way is that propane is used at a small rate, emitting carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes and a few other small insects. My husband just explained to me that the propane is not actually burned - there is a catalyctic conversion, when the propane combines with the oxygen in the air to form carbon dioxide, heat, and water (I think I got that straight.) When the bugs get near the carbon dioxide source a small fan run by the heat of the "thermopile" (whatever that is) blows them into a net bag. You can see them in there, by the hundreds, and after a while they dry up and die. Then you just empty the bag (and you can buy replacement bags.)

I'm a walking testimonial for the thing. I could kiss the two engineers who invented it. Hope this helps.

Trini

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement