UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: OnTheRightTrack Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Re: Changing cars (or not)? Date: 3/3/2008 7:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have to add my 2 cents since my favorite cars have not been mentioned.

I think safety is important. You don't want your au pair to break down on the freeway or your kid to get stranded in the middle of the night. So though I am in favor of cheap cars you need to have something reliable too.

First, the Ford Focus was on the Car & Driver top 10 list for a few years and we have one. For about $10K you can pick a basic model up and the thing is GREAT! It is safe and zippy and is a great little commuter car. Gets about 35-40 mpg on the highway. We even cart around our 3 dogs, one is a German Shepherd in the back.

Second, with your big Excursion, I understand your main problem with it is safety? If it was gas milage for about $500-1000 you can convert ANY diesel engine to a WVO car. That is car that runs on wasted veggie oil. Yes, you heard me right. We just bought a 1982 Benz that runs on veggie oil, or biodiesel or diesel. You can either filter your own oil from resteraunts or buy fresh stuff at the store. However, they get INCREDIBLE gas milage, about 40-50 mpg in the city I think for the Benz. Our car has been running on the same tank for 5 weeks now so I don't really know what the milage is yet. Sounds strange but it's really nice. It may be an option instead of a hybred as it is much cheaper per gallon.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (80) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement