UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: methree One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745080  
Subject: Re: Early Retirement Date: 12/9/1999 12:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I have to agree with TheBadger. You have to think about an airplane landing. It does not descend from 30,000 feet to the ground all at once. Otherwise there will be a crash landing. My wife quit her corporate job and became a consultant. It took her about 3 months to generate up some clients so that was some dead income time. But we did not need the income so it did not matter. she worked for 20 hours a week for the past two years. Last year I took Friday's off and worked only four days a week. That got me used to doing a few other things like fixing up things that were broken at the house or spending fun time with my wife and daughter. We pulled my daughter out of school friday afternoons early. Then I started quiting work at 3:00 M-Thurs to pick up my daughter and I would read books to her and help her on her homework. This year I reduced my work hours down to 400 hours. In about 6 months, my wife plans to stop working all together except to only take on an occasional client she likes working with and where they will let her do the project work from home so she does not have to drive to visit her client. I also have been shifting my work such that I only take projects that I can do from home. If they need me at the company to baby-sit, then I'm not the one. So by 12 months from now both my wife and myself plan to take on 2 projects each a year than generate money and a bunch of new projects that don't generate money. We don't need this money but we want to use it as an extra buffer of cash.

It is not that I hate work. I really loved my work. I guess I always had it in my mind that I wanted to work as hard as possible then exit the work force and do other things. I don't feel that work is "life" any more. There are otherthings more interesting to me.
Most over-acheivers are work-alocholics and they keep on moving the goal post out once they acheived it and
keep working more and more. Then they derive the meaning of their life from work since work takes up so much of their life. Then they have to work to fullfill this empty feeling. The important thing is to start to fill this empty void feeling with other interesting things to do so you don't get this feeling when you transition.

In summary, it is a transistion. Give yourself some time to ramp down.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement