Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BrianFooley Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7  
Subject: I have tried this, anyone else? Date: 10/18/2007 2:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I assume this is talking about investing in, giving a most recent example, the mortgage industry or homebuilders.

I have a little bit of this kind of investing in my portfolio. I thought I would try it because I wanted a small portion of high risk, high reward portion in my portfolio.

I invested in a telecom stock when that sector went bust (AVNX)
also Internet incubators, CMGI and ICGE
then the mortgage crisis came and I chose FBR because they seemed to divest of the subprime portion of their business, and were not financed with a lot of short term debt.

I just had a hard time imagining these industries being dead forever, so my thought was to take some risk and pick up these stocks on the cheap. Since I only allocated a small portion of my portfolio to these picks, I'm ok with the risk... I'm just hoping there will in the end be big rewards to go with those risks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuma102 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 7
Subject: Re: I have tried this, anyone else? Date: 10/28/2007 8:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
here here...

LUV post 9/11
FMD @ 36.

post biotech bubble, AMGN or DNA would have been nice, but picking it would have taken real aggots at the time, and a steady hand.

Author: BrianFooley Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 7
Subject: Re: I have tried this, anyone else? Date: 11/1/2007 6:19 PM
I invested in AVNX it has just post a 0.01 per share profit in it's history. It still has a high PEG ratio though so I'm not sure what all this is going to add up to.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement