UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Me vs. My Parents $40K Debt (Long) Date: 9/6/2004 8:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I have tried to read most of the replies, but let me add my own 2 cents worth.

- First, in addition to the danger of using the pension to bail out the credit cards, the money they take out is not working for them. In order for the full annual payout to be there when they retire, the pensions have to be working at full potential.

- Second, It looks like a number of those credit cards are on default rates, so I strongly agree that credit reports need to be checked and any problems addressed.

- Third, you mention a mortgage but not whether there is any equity in the house. Usually I do not like the idea of using a home as collateral to pay down debt, but in this case if the credit report is not damaged, it may be worthwhile exploring to significantly reduce the finance costs.

- The journey must start with your parents. They need to define their budget. They need to make a decision to cut their expenses. They need to be comfortable with drawing on their pension or their mortgage and understand the risks.

- They may have to consider delaying retirement in order to secure all their dreams. It would be a bad situation for them to take on a retired life they can not yet afford before or just after paying off their working lives.

- Both are elligible for Traditional IRA contributions and should consider utilizing the extra $500 annual catchup contribution to which they are elligible as a means of reducing their tax liabilities and applying the savings towards debt.

- Most of all, you have to resign yourself to the idea that you can not fix their financial situation. You are starting your own life, and you have to begin building your own financial future, whatever decisions your parents make for themselves.

Fuskie
Who joins all other Fools in wishing you well...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement