Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TrudyPhool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: What keeps you going? Date: 8/6/2003 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
I have two motivators: my parents, and my in-laws.

My in-laws (divorced) will never be able to stop working, as far as I can tell. My FIL, age 58, is self-employed in furniture repair and antique refinishing. He has no medical insurance. He owns his home, but it is TRASHED. Disgusting. He has little motivation to take care of himself or his home. He once told my DH that if he ever became unable to take care of himself, he would commit suicide. No, thank you. He seems content with his life, and has friends nearby that he hangs with, but he also works every single day in his shop.

My parents are the opposite end of the spectrum. My dad retired at age 53. They have since bought an RV and travel all over the place. They were able to relocate back to their hometown to take care of my grandparents when they became disabled. They are part of a camping club and have friends all over the country.

My parents paid cash for a home near some of my siblings. Everyone descends on their house without warning. There is a big swingset and sandbox in the backyard for the grandkids. Two refrigerators and a pantry full of food all the time. Dad's garage is perfectly organized, and he built shutters for my sister's house. They sometimes pick up my niece from school. When I call mom, I can usually hear my nieces and nephew in the background, having fun without me.

This is the life I want. I just have to figure out how to get there.

--Trudy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement