UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10363  
Subject: Re: Quicken 1995 vs. 2001 vs. 2003 Date: 1/28/2003 11:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I have used Quicken faithfully since 1993. I have only ever skipped 2 versions and I like the new user interface.

I've used it since version 2 for MS-DOS, whenever that was, and have skipped several releases because of Intuit's abject failure to do better than slather on new features I don't need without fixing the ones I use. (e.g. holding periods for splits and mergers are STILL wrong; rights and warrants have to be treated as stocks; although I can deposit cash directly to a brokerage account, Quicken isn't capable and requires that I transfer it in from another (bank) account; when you hold two companies that merge, tracking the merged companies separately before the merger and as one afterward is out of the question; when you hold one of two merging companies your holding gets renamed and maybe a change in the number of shares but Quicken can't properly handle it; the memo field in the register is abysmally small for essential explanatory notes. I don't download stock prices because I don't want to waste disk space on them; Quicken won't let us just look at prices without saving them.)

You can customize it to show you what you want and when you want it.

Hey! That's Great! But everytime you upgrade you have to customize it all over again because it ignores/dumps the effort you put into customizing the previous version. (The cynic in me wonders why it never occurred to them to change our file names, too. Oops.) Of course they have to ignore your work because each new version is sufficiently changed that what you used to do is now done differently.

I disagree with JeanDavid regarding the support on the website. Whenever I have had a problem with Quicken, I have been able to go there and find a solution.

You are blessed because I've read about and heard about no one else who's had nearly that good an experience with Intuit "support." I'll admit that those who do get help there probably go away happy and we don't hear from them. I am particularly happy that Quicken users who come to this board get so much support and encouragement.

KennyO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement