No. of Recommendations: 0
I haven't been to Santorini, but I would hope to see some of the archaeological sites there.

Akrotiri was really interesting. It's a huge excavation under a roof, probably because of the sun and heat there, as well as open walls for air circulation.

Oia was marginally interesting, IMO, and a couple of hours there were plenty. The stark white buildings set against the sapphire sea and, if you visit off-season, the open plaza, are gorgeous. The tiny alley ways lined with shops were a nice, short walk, but that's about it. As MrFungi said, I would not want to be there in high-season. Our guide said that the plaza area in high-season is shoulder-to-shoulder. We were the only group there in early-April 2016. Perfect weather.

I don't recall it being anywhere near an hour ride between Akrotiri and Oia, but we were on a bus and perhaps distracted.

Minoans were associated with Crete and the Palace of Knossos, my favorite archaeological site ever, though I was there decades ago.

Chili
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement