Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1193  
Subject: Re: Swoosh-whacked! :) Date: 11/17/2012 10:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
'I haven't compared Parker's salary to all companies in its peer group (except for Adidas)'

Hi Milton - that's what the Comp. Committee does, and reports on every year. In the 2011 'say on pay' vote, they got 98% shareholder approval, which is pretty impressive.

'Parker's 2012 salary increase is a three-fold increase; much larger compared to the executives below him.'

According to the proxy, Parker's salary increase was marginal -- from $1,535,557 to $1,550,000.

'I recognize that a big part of the increase is the $20M in restricted stock units, which means he'll have to stick around for 5 years before he earns them. To my mind, Nike will have to do extraordinarily well before that bonus can be justified. '

Actually it's a retention award (a.k.a. golden handcuffs), so the bet's the other way round -- Nike should do well if he sticks around:

'In May 2012, Mr. Parker was granted a restricted stock unit (“RSU”) retention award, in recognition of his leadership and his critical role in driving the company’s growth
strategy in future years. The RSU award, in the amount of $20 million, is intended as a long-term retention incentive scheduled to vest in full on the fifth anniversary of
the grant date. The award has no value to Mr. Parker unless he remains employed with the company for the full vesting period.'

'When I compare this to the salary increase of the Adidas CEO, Herbert Hainer, it's still huge'

You could drive yourself round the bend comparing US comps to those on other continents. Never has made sense. Probably never will.

(Which is one of many reasons why the peer group is 100% US based)
---------------
MDP Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement