UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (171) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127677  
Subject: Re: Q about closing date & owner moving out Date: 6/9/2013 10:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I haven't heard from anyone on that thread (you're referring to the 'retirement investing' board, I am assuming?) I'd put that in the ideological religion category with Political Asylum... same approaches to personal respect, reason and logic. But if you are saying somebody's sincerely open to learning there, I'll go check it out again.

Actually, on that board/set of threads, I would say that your position is closer to ideological religion. IUL propoonents have been asked multiple times to supply numbers that disprove Rayvt's numbers showing that over a period of at least 20 years, investing in the S&P 500 with dividend reinvestment, will result in a larger pot of money than investing in an IUL, with associated fees and caps. Over 2 months later, no numbers have been supplied by IUL proponents, only rhetoric and pitches about 'highly complex' Monte Carlo simulations, and how there is 'no risk' with IUL, vs. 'lots of risk' with the 'naked' S&P strategy.

Ray's numbers seem to prove that even if your view is that the 'naked' strategy is riskier is correct, the pot of money at the end is still smaller using the IUL. As Ray most recently showed (using actual numbers), over a 20 year period, the benefit of the 'no-loss' feature of the IUL is outweighed by the downside features of having the gains capped and higher fees. Unless you can prove with numbers that the IUL provides a bigger pot of money with the same amount invested over a 20 year period, your obsession with risk avoidance is what borders on religious, IMO.

And there still hasn't been any answer to the risk that was raised about the insurance company going belly up as a risk in your 'zero risk' IUL.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (171) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement