No. of Recommendations: 0
I held back answering, wanting one of the experts to come along. But, with your first post, you ought to get a quick response. Here goes.

I think full service brokers are rarely or never worth what they charge customers. "Where are the customers' yachts?" indeed. So, as I see it, the sooner you get away from them, the better. Illustrative story: a dear friend of mine and I had IRA's of about the same value two years ago. Hers is with a FSB and today has the same value as then, although she has taken nothing out of it. My IRA is with Vanguard has made more than 50% in that two year period. In my experience, FSB's are incapable of putting the clients' interests ahead of their own.

When I quit working in 1993, I rolled all of my 401k funds over into an IRA at Vanguard, in their Index 500 Fund, VFINX. The investment there has tripled without any further deposits, just reinvested dividends. My experience does not necessarily amount to advice for you, but I'll say this much -- I plan to leave all these funds in VFINX for the forseeable future, except that I may start withdrawing the dividends (or about 2%) annually now that I'm 60.

Chips

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement