Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I help my mother in law with her investments. Does her RMD have to be in cash or can she take shares of stock or mutual funds and transfer them from her IRA to a taxable account?

Thanks for the great help.

Not a tax pro.

I think the "deflavoring" of the IRA proceeds would turn them into cash. Once they were out of the
IRA account, she would then be free to do whatever she wished with the proceeds, including repurchasing
the same stocks or mutual funds in a taxable account.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.