Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: foolynaround Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 70  
Subject: Re: GGP emerging from bankruptcy Date: 10/21/2010 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
i initially bought 30k shares and over time sold off 25% of that holding. still holding 22,500 shares and like you i need to decide what to do. 40% of my stock is in ira's and the remaining 60% is in a taxable account. needless to say, i am extremely overweight this stock. most likely before the year end i will sell 2,500 shares of new ggp from my taxable account just to replenish my cash cushion. i should receive 1,228 shares of hhc in my taxable account and plan to sell the 228 shares getting me down to an even 1,000 shares in the taxable account. timing may depend on when/if a dividend is declared for the new ggp and what the date of record will be.

i will probably let my ira position ride for quite some time for both the new ggp and the hhc stock. any dividends collected will be divested into other positions (will sell any stock dividend and redeploy the cash elsewhere).

in the taxable account on a go forward basis, my plan is to collect the annual dividend and after the date of record sell off between 500 and 1,000 shares per year. i'm pretty well retired now so i will use distributions from this taxable account to supplement my retirement income with intent of letting my ira's ride until i'm 70 1/2 years of age and the required minimum distribution kicks in.

of course, this plan could go south depending on how the economy behaves but setting aside some more cash now should give me the ability to not have to react to market fluctuations.

if anyone were to ask me what i thought was the best opportunity for a double in the next 18-24 months, stock in the new ggp would be it.

since you also have a very low basis, the annual dividends in ggp will represent over a 100% return on investment each and every year. that's sweet!

whatever your plan, good luck with it. this has truly been a wonderful investment and while i would hope to live long enough to find another one of these, this was surely a once in a lifetime stock pick.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement