UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: Re: Ceramic tile to wood flooring Date: 6/11/2002 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just can't picture putting in a sloppy, mushy substance (i.e. anything that is not solid at first, like thinset) and have any expectations for it to stay in place.

All I can say is that when I did our bathroom tile, the thinset stayed under the tile - except for a very small amount that oozed out as the tile was set into the thinset. As I set the tiles, I started to learn how to spread the thinset so that just a small amount came out from under the tiles as they were set. As it was a bathroom, I did the pieces in the doorway last.

Likewise, I can't picture a hard, crumbly substance (grout/thinset, once dried) staying perfectly vertical until I have the floors (and then the threshold) put into place.

It may not stay perfectly vertical, but who cares? Again, I let a bit of grout come out of the joint - so there was some excess grout. As already noted, you don't put any grout on the edge of the tile that will be next to the wood floor. My tile butts up to carpeting, so it is a bit different from your situation. In your case, when you're ready to install the wood floor, you could carefully remove the excess thinset and grout as needed to get a good fit with the wood. I had to remove some grout a week after I put it in, and found that it wasn't all that difficult to remove. (I left a large and obvious air space in one spot that needed to be fixed.)

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement