Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chekat One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 80  
Subject: Re: DIA and SPY Date: 2/24/2001 6:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I just did some more looking at the chart for S&P 500 Index. The SPY follows the same pattern, except of course, the numbers change.

This is using the default log scaling on weekly and daily charts (depending on the overall timeframe).

There seems to have been a long term trendline in place since late 1994. It was started at that time and tested July 1996, and October 1998. That line was tested again in October 2000, then broken in November 2000. That trendline represented a rise from 450 to 1550 at the height in March 2000. The 1500 area was retested in September 2000.

Since breaking through the long-term trendline, the 150-day EMA was tested from below on 11/6/2000 and 1/31/2001. It's fallen from a high of 1376 on 1/31 to low of 1215 last week (intraday levels).

The current levels were a consolidation area at the beginning of 1999. It seemed to have rested there for about 2 months before resuming it's climb and after a decline back to the long-term trendline at the end of 1998 (which also formed a W on the weekly chart).

So, what does this mean?

Well, on a monthly log chart, the 30 period line has flattened out. Combined with the breaking down through the long-term trendline, I think that means that the trend has changed. I guess what remains to be seen is whether this will be a short-term consolidation (like 1994), a long-term consolidation (like the 70's), or just the start of further breakdown. I guess we have to watch what it does at the 150-day EMA and what it does at the horizontal support in the 1200, 1100, and 975 areas.

All criticism and comments are more than appreciated. Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement