UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 46824  
Subject: Re: Secular bear vs. normal bear Date: 5/11/2005 9:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just finished Gasperino's book, "Blood on the Street", and it convinced me that most of the big brokerage houses should not be in business. Certainly anybody who expects an honest opinion from an analyst working for somebody like Merrill Lynch is likely to be disappointed.

Their role in the Enron thing ("The Smartest Guys in the Room") was absolutely contemptable. But they were not alone.

When I hear of problems at hedge funds, I remember Mandelbrot's book, "The Misbehavior of the Markets." They were discussing LTCM on CNBC yesterday. Seems that they were leveraged 100 to 1. So how much money did they actually make? Well, I have heard 40% per year in the beginning. But if you are leveraged 100 to 1, to make 40% you only have to have real profits of .04% approximately. So if you lose .04% you lose 40%. Did I do the math right? Crazy stuff.

So what are the odds that there would be a tender offer for GM and a downgrade of their bonds to junk the next day? But it happened.

Every time I go to Amazon to buy a book they tell me I should buy Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, so maybe I will do it.

Joel Williams
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement