Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just found out that my 10 yr old's mutual fund distributed capital gains. (approx. $4000) What is the best way to handle this? Previously, I've added her interest income to our tax return. But, now, this is something different and completely new to me! Should I file a seperate return for her? I was unaware of the 14 yr old rule. I am the guardian of her mutual fund, it is in her name.

If the only capital gain she has is from the mutual fund distribution, you can still elect to include her income on your return. From you post I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like you've maybe not been doing this correctly. The account should be under her SSN, and the income is hers. You deal with the "kiddie tax" issue on either Form 8615 attached to her return or Form 8814 attached to yours.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.