UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: Estate planning Date: 8/21/2000 9:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just got through reading your article on A Trust as an IRA Beneficiary. At the end, you say "see your estate planner."
We have never really consulted in anyone other than our lawyer for our wills. So often I see in articles consult your tax
person or financial planner. We have spoke to financial planners but it seems they don't know enough about tax
consequences and only want to sell more investments they are pushing. So should one consult in a CPA (Certified Public
Acct) when making retirement decisions? I recently called our lawyer that did our wills about possible estate taxes and he
suggested we wait until after the presidential election as the limit could go up to one million before estate taxes are taken.
But who truly is an "estate planner?" other than ourselves. Who knows the tax consequences best.

I would look for a lawyer that specializes in estate and elder law or a CPA. The CPA may also have some specialization in financial planning. You do not mention the size of your estate. If tax advice is what you need see the CPA. If you need papers draated see the attorney.

I do not like your lawyers comment to wait until after the elections. However to be fair he knows you situation and there maybe nothing for you to do. On the other hand he may not have a lot of skill in the tax area and if you have a large estate you could have problems. My vote is to see the CPA since you have already seen an attorney.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement