Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FDWBaltimore Two stars, 250 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 210402  
Subject: Re: FDWBaltimore Date: 3/20/2000 10:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just have one quibble with the Oracle. I thought he could have, and should have, acted more decisively in '99 to put the new incentives in place, replace the malcontents in senior management ranks, and track more closely what General Re's rank-and-file were doing in pricing new policies. Who knows what share of General Re's 1999 losses might have been avoided, if quicker action had been taken? To me, it was distressing to learn that it took a full year after purchasing General Re (probably two years or more after WEB started due diligence) to get these measures in place, many of which BRK reinsurance managers had long since applied in their own operations. It's hard to avoid a sense that WEB and company were just unduly complacent during the critical early months after closing the deal.

I would guess that there weren't malcontents in management ranks -- but I don't deny that a merger probably caused a number of people to take stock of their situation and consider other positions in the industry. Any large life-changing situation is bound to spur such thoughts.

As for how long it took to accomplish the implementation of the new incentive system, that takes time to communicate it effectively and get people on board with it. That sort of thing is a major change in one's worldview as an underwriter, I would think. For all we know, this may have been implemented early in the year, within months after the two companies merged. In addition, I don't Buffett is one to dictate things from Omaha -- as important as incentive systems are. I think this has to come from Gen Re's management, but I am pretty certain this was a major topic of discussion between Omaha and Greenwich.

Dale
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement