Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Linne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11198  
Subject: Re: How do I suggest a different investment in U Date: 4/9/2000 11:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I just keep plugging away chatting about retirement and trying to get my Mom to make a will....(sigh) maybe someday I'll connect with my Mom about that....

Actually, my Mom is the one I do talk about investing with! (she's a CPA, so she doesn't think it's vulgar to talk about money...) Our conversations about estate planning, wills, etc. have taken a more serious turn since my dad died - somehow, that brings home mortality.

I had the same idea Jeff did about telling her what will happen to her assets without a will. A list on a computer that you "should" be able to find just won't cut it! (Maybe you can tell her that you'll be so distraught when that time comes that you won't be able to think straight enough to figure out her password!)

Here's another idea: My mom and I made up a little booklet (one for each of us) in which we wrote down all of our assets, insurance policies, etc. I gave a blank one to my in-laws too to fill in all the info that someone would need to know after they die.

In case you're interested, here are the page headings we used (YMMV):
- Important People (with lines for attorney, accountant, insurance agent, investment advisor, and relatives - names and phone numbers)
- Financial Documents (with lines for location of each document - checkbooks, bank and brokerage statements, mortgage or note payment schedules, mortgage or note receivable schedules, safe deposit box, computer records (including passwords), written comments/instructions to heirs, wills and trusts, deeds to real estate, titles to automobiles etc., stock and bond certificates, insurance policies, birth certificate, marriage certificate, income tax returns for previous 3 years, gift tax returns - all)
ASSETS
- Cash in Banks (name and account number; date and balance optional)
- Brokerage Accounts (name and account number; date and balance optional)
- Stocks not Held by Broker (name, shares, location)
- Funds Held as Custodian for Minor (name and account number; date and balance optional)
- Real Estate (description)
- Business Properties and Partnerships (name, address, taxpayer ID, shares/percentage; amount optional)
- Life Insurance (name, account number, amount)
- Annuities and Retirement Accounts (name and account number; date and balance optional)
- Debts Owed to Me (name, address, due date, amount)
LIABILITIES
- Debts I Owe to Creditors (name, account number, due date, amount)
- Mortgages (lender name, property, account number, amount)
- Notes Payable (name, account number, date, amount)
- Credit Cards (name, location of card, account number; balance optional)

Then all she has to do is tell you where she keeps the book - you don't have to actually read it till she's gone. 'Course if she won't make a will, she probably won't fill this out either, but it may be worth a shot.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement