UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (379) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eaglehaslanded Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308541  
Subject: Re: HERE IT IS - MY MAJOR CC DEBT !!! Date: 2/22/2007 12:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I just mentioned what has been going on with the boards and the numbers and what have you and he is mad as h--- told me I've been telling you this for ten years. I don't want to have to work a second job to pay off any more of your stuff blaming blaming blaming. Now keep in mind his cc are higher than mine. He refuses to even acknowledge this fact.

This is going to get ugly. Very UGLY !!!!!

Actually, this is a great opportunity. Use a little ego massage. Show him an organized chart of expenses, debt, etc. (like some of the others have made for you). Tell him you're what a terrible mistake it was for yo not to listen to him 10 years ago. How right he was. How dumb you were, etc, etc, etc.

Now you haven't told us the sources of the credit card balances. Is it you on $300 shoes and purses, jewelry, etc., him at happy hours, gun shows & ATVs*, or just groceries and toilet paper? You do strike me as possibly the kind who would always worry about your kids "perfect" birthday parties, they all have cell phones, need clothes & other stuff to stay with the in crowd either of their school or your friends kids (I could be wrong). You probably buy nice gifts for all your friends that you can't live without & go to not cheap birthday dinners with a group of them. Figure out what you can afford. Decide what's worth it and what's not worth it. Then just do it.

All that kind of stuff might be interesting to us, but maybe it doesn't matter for the future. He's obviously not going to be excited about putting in more work for more of the same. So impress him with the raw numbers & ask him what he thinks needs to go. After you put all the expenses in a priority list, have him do the same. Hell, have the older kids do it, too. (you can leave out the numbers for them)

Then you can see where everyone agrees and where y'all need to compromise. And you can show what you're willing to give up and what you're willing to do in the process.

*OK, I know yankees ain't in to gun shows and ATVs like us down here, but I don't know how else to make my point. Plasma TVs?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (379) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement